A few days ago, I came across an article where it was written about all the benefits of drinking pickle juice. I love drinking pickle juice in general, but after knowing the nutritional value of it, I have started to drink it more frequently.
For the first time How do you make pickle juice? Well, I like to make pickle juice at home on my own. Making pickles at home is way easier than you think. Over time, I think I have perfected the way of making pickles and their vinegary brine.
Here, I have shared my way of making pickles and listed some reasons why pickle juice is beneficial for our bodies.
What is pickling?
The reason behind the invention of pickling was to preserve fruits and vegetables in a vinegar sauce or brine. Most people enjoy eating pickle and pickle juice because of the rich, delicious flavor.
Some of the most common pickles are pickled cucumber, pickled onion, dill pickles, lime pickles, and many more. Nowadays, pickles are made commercially because of their high demand. However, eating homemade pickles is healthier and it is also easy to make.
How to make pickles with easy recipes?
Here is a quick and easy pickle recipe for you. To make a good pickle, you will need the following ingredients:
- Vinegar for the brine. Preferably with mild flavors.
- Vegetable or fruit of your choice. Here, I am using cucumbers.
- Fresh dill. It is optional but will give your pickle a great touch of flavor. Also, you can use other herbs of your choice.
- Garlic cloves.
- Ground ginger (optional).
- You can also add a pinch of sweetener.
- Basic seasonings. Here I am using mustard seeds, red chili flakes, kosher salt, coriander seeds, bay leaves, and cumin.
Now that you have all your necessary ingredients, let us learn how to make pickles.
How To Make Pickles (Watermelon)
- Firstly, you need to slice your cucumbers as you want. I like to cut them in slightly thick and round slices. Also, finely chop your dill or any other herb and garlic cloves.
- Secondly, mix the chopped garlic, ground ginger, chopped dill, and seasonings with the vinegar. Add water to the mixer to make a brine. Also, if you want to add sweeteners, mix them with the brine.
- After that, take a clean jar and pack the sliced cucumber into the jar. Then pour the brine into it. Make sure to fill it up all the way.
- Finally, seal the jar tightly and store it in the refrigerator for 2-3weeks or more. The more time you will leave them, the more flavorful the cucumbers will become. However, you can eat them after storing them only for a night or two.
Why pickle juice is good for health?
Many studies have been done on the nutritional value of pickle juice, and most of them show that pickle juice is quite beneficial for our health. It helps with blood sugar levels, muscle cramps, gut health, and so on. Some studies also claim that pickle juice can help you lose weight.
Here are some of the health benefits of drinking pickle juice:
- Helps you stay hydrated: Pickle juice contains a lot of sodium and potassium that are electrolytes. When we sweat, we lose electrolytes from our bodies and thus get dehydrated. As pickle juice has sodium and potassium in it, it can help us get hydrated quickly.
- The vinegar of pickle juice helps with soothing muscle cramps.
- It contains vitamin C, E, and antioxidants.
- Homemade pickle juice also contains a healthy gut bacteria known as lactobacillus that helps us maintain a healthy gut.
- Adding dill to your pickle is another way of increasing the nutritional value of your pickle juice. Dill helps with indigestion, stomach cramps, and gas.
- Some people also claim that it helps to prevent hangovers.
However, it is better to drink homemade pickle juice instead of buying it. Now, the only question left to answer is how do you make pickle juice at home?
Difference Between Pickling and Fermenting?
How do you make pickle juice from scratch?
Answer: To make pickle juice from scratch, all you need is the three main ingredients which are:
• 1 cup water
• ½ cup vinegar that you have on hand and
• Two tablespoons kosher salt.
These are the main thing that you need to make pickle juice. You can add other kinds of stuff to make it more flavorful.
How is pickle juice made?
Answer: You will need the following elements for making this pickle juice recipe:
• 1 cup water. (You can skip adding water if you are not drinking the pickle juice afterward.)
• 1/2 cup vinegar. (Preferably rice wine vinegar, white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar.)
• One teaspoon mustard seeds
• One teaspoon of black paper (You can also use red chili flakes.)
• Two tablespoons kosher salt
• One garlic clove
• One tablespoon ground ginger
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon dill (optional)
Now, mix all the ingredients on a pan until everything is combined properly. Make sure to keep the heat on the low setting. Once the sugar and salt have been dissolved and everything has mixed properly, remove the pan from heat and let it cool and after that, strain the brine with a fine-mesh sieve. And that’s it! You have made your pickle juice.
Can you just buy pickle juice?
Answer: Yes! You can buy just pickle juice online, in many retail shops, or even at a grocery store. For example, Best Maid is a pickle institution that sells a gallon of dill juice only at $7.99. You can also get a good deal on Amazon Prime.
Is it healthy to drink pickle juice during pregnancy?
Answer: Yes, it is healthy to drink pickle juice. Many research shows that pickle juice is beneficial for our health. Pickle juice has not much nutritional value. This has less amount of cholesterol & carbohydrates in one ounce of a pickle. Only taking small amount of it daily won’t hurm your upborn baby. We have discussed some of the benefits of pickle juice above.
Now that the question about how do you make pickle juice has been answered, I hope you will give the recipe a try and make pickles on your own. Also, play around with the recipe and see which combination of seasonings and herbs you like the most.
Furthermore, try to drink pickle juice more often as it can help with a healthier life. Throwing away the pickle juice will be such a waste of a nutritious drink. And if you are someone who already drinks pickle juice, suggest your friends and family too. If you are a sour lover then must try our Kiwi juice recipe.